This small plaque shows Joseph and Mary with the Christ Child on her lap at the right. Beneath the star of Bethlehem, the Three Kings come bearing their gifts from the left, followed by their mounted entourage. The plaque is part of a series of works attributed to Galeazzo Mondella. Little is known about Mondella, who mainly signed his name “Moderno” from 1487 on, but his work exerted great influence in the Veneto and in Lombardy. Since his brother worked as a painter at the court of Ferrara, it is assumed that Moderno was also active there. Plaques were to attain their zenith in Italy in the middle of the 15th century. Unlike two-sided medallions, they were worked exclusively on one side. Besides being able to view them in a position lying face up, it was also possible to affix such pieces to liturgical devices or to furniture. Plaques were especially popular collectors’ items among humanist scholars, who used them for private viewing. It is not known what function the Bremen plaque ultimately fulfilled—perhaps it was used as a pax board. The use of such boards was customary from the 13th century on in the Catholic liturgy for giving the kiss of peace in connection with a prayer (John 14:27).